How do you talk to your kids about the Sandy Hook School Shooting? Tanya Gesek tells us.
- Talk to them before they go on the bus or go to school.
- Pay close attention to their behavior. Are they more distant or acting differently?
- Children can pick up on your emotions, so use calm and collective voice when discussing the subject with them.
- Ask what they have heard to tell them whether it's true or not, and make sure they have accurate information before they start hearing rumors.
- The worse thing you can do is avoid discussing the subject with your child.
The most important thing is to communicate with your child about this emotional topic. If you are the guardian or parent they should hear from you first!
For more resources check out the New York State Psychological Association at: facebook.com/PsychologyResources