John Scipione, the CNY Branch Manager of GreenHomes America
(and a BPI Certified Building Analyst & Heating Professional) stopped by for an interesting discussion of the air in your home.Why should I be concerned with the air quality of my home?
According to the EPA indoor air could be 2 to 5 times more contaminated that the outdoor air. And research indicates that people spend approximately 90% of their time indoors. The most susceptible are the young, the elderly and the chronically ill, especially those suffering from respiratory and cardiovascular disease. What are some of the most potentially hazardous contaminants and it’s sources?
Radon: A naturally occurring gas that is odorless, colorless and radioactive. This gas actually seeps through your homes foundation and basement floor. This is a predominant problem in many CNY communities. Click here to check the average levels in your town, village or city.
Carbon Monoxide: This can be the most serious contaminant and most imminently deadly gas. It is also odorless and colorless and can enter the home directly from your garage generated from your car or other gasoline engines. It is also created from damaged, worn out or poorly maintained heating equipment, and that includes your gas oven and hot water tank.How can a homeowner detect if they have a radon or a carbon monoxide problem?
Radon is more difficult to detect and requires a two day test which can be done by the home owner. You simply hang a detection device in your basement for 48 hours then send it away for the diagnosis and results. (Show kit) If your levels are too high you can reduce the radon by having a specially engineered vacuum system installed to continually lower the levels of harmful radon entering your home.
Carbon Monoxide can be detected instantly at its source with a professional high-tech detector. Every home should have a better than average CO detector placed on every level of the home -- with new homes its mandatory. Gaps, cracks and bypasses should be sealed between the garage and the living space not allowing any migration of gases generated especially by the car. All of the gas burning appliances need to be checked for CO professionally and made sure that the flues are exhausting properly. For more information about any of these issues and how to 'clear the air' in your home, just call GreenHomes America at 315-474-6549.