Many companies are using now Skype as a way to interview out-of-town applicants for job openings. Kim Brown, from SU Career Services, shared her tips on how to have a successful interview experience on Skype:
- Look at your webcam, not the interviewer.
- Background matters! Don't have anything strange behind you.
- Dress as you would for an in-person interview.
- Position the camera to show your head and shoulders.
- Pay attention to your Skype name, photo and profile. Keep it professional.
If it's your first Skype interview, don't be afraid to tell the interviewer that you're a Skype newbie, and practice with a friend before to check your internet connection.
Finally, don't forget to send a hand-written note or email to say thank you!