Cooking with Chef Kurt:
Looking for a yummy summer platter for you and your family? Look no further, Chef Kurt from Wegmans has cooked a delicious Cedar Plank Jerk Split Chicken to spice up a summer night.
Cedar Plank Jerk Split Chicken
Active Time: 55 min.
2 Pkgs of Wegmans Jamaican-Style Jerk Split Chicken
2 Tsp Wegmans basting oil
1 cup of Jamaican Jerk BBQ sauce
You’ll need: Cedar Plank soaked one hour in water. Preheat grill on HIGH for 10 minutes.
1. Arrange chicken on plank and brush each piece with basting oil. Place plank with chicken on grill. Reduce heat to MEDIUM/LOW.
2. Grill, covered about 45 minutes until chicken reaches 165 degrees.
3. Remove plank from grill, and transfer chicken to clean platter.
4. Serve with warmed sauce.
Black Bean Cakes
Active Time: 45 min.
Chill Time: 30 min.
Total Time: 1 hour 25 minutes
2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed.
1 tbsp Wegmans pure olive oil
6 tbsp of finely minced sweet mini pepers
1 small white onion, finely minced
3 Wegmans large eggs
1/3 cup of milk
1 cup of all purpose flour
2 cups Wegmans panko bread crumbs
2 cups Wegmans vegetable oil
Cilantro for garnish
You'll Need: Potato masher, large baking sheet, parchment paper, candy thermometer
1. Mash drained beans with potato masher in mixing bowl. (Beans will not be entirely smooth.) Set aside.
2. Heat olive oil, peppers, and onions in large skillet on MEDIUM. Cook, stirring, about 5 min, until vegetables are soft and cooked through. Fold pepper and onion mixture into mashed beans. Wipe out skillet.
3. Divide mixture into 6 equal portions. Form into 3-inch patties; place on parchment paper-lined baking sheet and place in freezer (uncovered) 30 min.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
5. Whisk eggs and milk together in shallow bowl. Put flour and panko in 2 separate shallow bowls. Arrange in an "assembly line": flour, egg mixture, panko.
6. Place each bean cake in flour bowl, coating well. Dip in egg mixture until well-coated, then dredge in panko until completely coated. Return cakes to egg mixture and dredge in panko a second time. Place cakes on work surface until all cakes are prepared for frying.
7. Heat vegetable oil in large skillet to 350 degrees on MEDIUM (check with candy thermometer).
8. Add cakes to pan; cook 3-4 min or until golden brown. Carefully turn over; cook other side 3-4 min, until golden brown. Drain on double thickness of paper towels.
9. Place cooked cakes on baking sheet; bake 10-12 min or until heated thoroughly. Garnish with cilantro.
Cakes can be made in advance through step 8 and refrigerated. Bake in 350-degree oven until heated thoroughly (about 20 min).
Chipotle Corn Sauce
Makes: 3 cups
Active Time: 30 min.
1 Tbsp Wegmans Pure Olive Oil
1 Tbsp minced Food You Feel Good About Peeled Shallots
2 cups Food You Feel Good About Just Picked & Quickly Frozen Whole Kernel Sweet Corn, divided
1 1/2 cups Wegmans Half and Half
3 sweet mini peppers, finely diced, about 1/3 cup
1/2 container Wegmans Chipotle-Lime Finishing Butter (Dairy Dept)
Salt to taste
You’ll need: Handheld Blender
1. Heat oil and shallots in small saucepan on MEDIUM. Cook, stirring, until shallots are soft, about 4 min. Add 1 cup corn and half and half. Bring to a simmer, 1 min. Puree with handheld blender.
2. Add remaining cup of corn, peppers, and butter to pan; combine. Salt to taste. Bring back to simmer, 1-2 min. Serve warm with Black Bean Cakes (see related recipe).
Fruit Salad with Frizzante & Fresh Mint
Active Time: 10 min.
4 lbs assorted cut fruit, uniform 1-inch pieces
1 pkg (0.25 oz) Food You Feel Good About Fresh Mint, finely chopped
1 1/2 tsp Wegmans Coarse Sea Salt
1 cup Wegmans Blood Orange Frizzante European Soda
Toss fruit, mint, salt, and soda in bowl. Chill until ready to serve.