Chef Dana Patterson from Wegmans prepares some fresh salsa recipes highlighting homegrown fruits and vegetables.
1 pkg (16 oz) Food You Feel Good About Just Picked & Quickly Frozen Blueberries, partially thawed
1 pkg (16 oz) Food You Feel Good About Just Picked & Quickly Frozen Dark Sweet Cherries, partially thawed, rough chopped
1 medium red onion, finely minced (about 3/4 cup)
1 Tbsp finely minced jalapeno pepper, cored and seeded (wear gloves)
1/2 bunch mint, finely sliced (about 1/2 cup)
juice of 1 lime (1-2 Tbsp)
salt and pepper to taste
You'll Need: blender
1. Add berries, cherries, onion, jalapeno, mint and lime juice to large bowl. Toss.
2. Transfer to blender or food processor (in 2 batches if necessary); pulse only until roughly chopped, don't puree. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Avocado, Tomato, and Corn Salsa
2 ears of corn, shucked
2 green onions, trimmed
1 Tbsp Wegmans Basting Oil
1 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted, 1/2-inch dice
3 medium tomatoes (about 1 lb total), 1/4-inch dice
Juice and zest of 1 fresh lime (about 1 Tbsp each)
1/4 cup Wegmans Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
1 Tbsp fresh chopped cilantro
Salt and pepper to taste
Preheat grill on MEDIUM 10 min.
- Clean grill with wire brush. Using soft cloth, coat grill grate lightly with vegetable oil.
- Baste corn and green onions with basting oil. Grill until tender and lightly browned (corn 5-8 min, green onions 2-3 min). Let cool.
- Cut corn from cob. Thinly slice onions. Combine corn, onions, avocado, and tomato in medium bowl; toss to combine.
- Whisk lime juice and zest, olive oil, and cilantro in small bowl. Pour over corn mixture; toss. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Tomato and Cucumber Salsa
1 medium (about 1/2 lb) cucumber, peeled, sliced lengthwise, seeded, diced small
1 tsp salt
1 jalapeno pepper (wear gloves) halved, seeded, diced very fine
4 large (about 3/4 lb each) tomatoes, diced small
3 Tbsp red onion, diced
4 Tbsp lime juice
2 Tbsp Wegmans Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- Toss cucumbers in bowl with salt (will draw out moisture). Let set 30 min; squeeze, then drain water off.
- Combine all ingredients in medium bowl.