Syracuse (WSYR-TV) -- If you’re like most people, you could probably use more fruits and vegetables in your diet. Did you know there’s a way to make that happen without having to eat them?
NewsChannel 9's Carrie Lazarus stopped by Natur-Tyme in DeWitt to learn about to benefits, and share her nutrient-packed juice recipe.Carrie's Juice Recipe
Carrie Lazarus makes this every morning. Just blend and enjoy!
1 cup coconut water
2 medium kale leaves
1 cup frozen mango
1 tbsp. flaxseed
Top Benefits of Juicing
1. You will likely eat more fruits and vegetables if you juice than if you don’t. If you look at the top 25 foods of American children and adults, the only vegetable listed is potatoes – in the form of French fries. There are no fruits. Clearly we can all benefit from eating more fruits and vegetables.
2. You will likely get better delivery of the nutrients in the fruits and vegetables used for juicing. With the fiber removed, the juice mixture will pass through the digestive system more readily, potentially speeding up delivery of vitamins and minerals in the fruits and veggies used.
3. Most fruits and vegetables raise the ph of your body- causing a more alkaline environment. As we discussed, there are many advantages to keeping the body alkaline (closer to a pH of 7.4):
a. Decreased inflammation- Consuming more alkaline foods decreases low grade inflammation and makes the body more resistant to diseases and infection.
b. Sugar stability- acidic foods, such as sugar and processed foods, raise glucose rapidly, causing a rapid insulin response, and often followed by a sugar crash. Fruits and veggies, for a variety of reasons, release glucose more slowly, causing more glucose stability
c. Resistance to cancer- this is huge. (This is why I was explaining to your camera man how important it is to juice if you have every had a cancer diagnosis). The 1931
Nobel Prize winner
Warburg discovered that cancer cells cannot survive where there are high levels of oxygen. Alkalinity helps to increase the body's oxygen level, which is why alkaline foods can be helpful in fighting cancer. (When the blood is alkalized, it is able to contain more oxygen).
Some of the most potent alkaline foods are: • Leafy vegetables such as spinach, mustard greens and kale
• Cucumbers, broccoli, asparagus, artichokes, cabbage, onions, radishes, peas, leeks, watercress, turnips, carrots, chives, green beans, beet root, celery, avocados, tomatoes, Brussels sprouts
• Lemons, limes, grapefruit, dried figs, apricots, dates
• Wheatgrass and chlorella
• Garlic and ginger
• Almonds and seeds such as sunflower, sesame and flax
• Organic cold-pressed oils such as olive, coconut, flax, borage
• Grains such as millet and quinoa
• Organic, raw apple cider vinegar
• Green tea
Links:www.juicemaster.comwww.rebootwithjoe.comwww.fatsickandnearlydead.comInformation courtesy Natur-Tyme