Boston Police: Bombing suspect alive and in custody 4/19/13
Photos: Manhunt underway in Boston
Boston, Mass (WSYR-TV/ABC) -- The manhunt for the surviving suspect in this week’s deadly Boston Marathon bombing is now over.
The second suspect -- 19-year-old Dzhokhar Tsarnaev -- was found hiding in a boat, in a yard, just outside of Boston, in Watertown, Massachusetts.
Tsarnaev was said to be bleeding badly and was rushed to Mass General Hospital. The extent of his injuries are not known.
Dzhokhar’s brother, 26-year-old Tamerlan Tsarnaev, his alleged co-conspirator in Monday’s attack, was killed in a shootout with police late Thursday night.
The brothers are U.S. residents of Chechnyan ethnicity. They were tracked down Thursday night after they allegedly ambushed MIT police officer Sean Collier. Collier was fatally shot while in his patrol car.
The brothers then allegedly carjacked an SUV and led police on a wild chase, firing weapons and throwing explosives.
SWAT teams spent the day Friday canvassing a Watertown, Mass., neighborhood, going door-to-door and now the city and the nation can rest easy.
Police hope since they were able to take him alive, they’ll have a better chance of finding out the motive. The FBI has also taken three other people in for questioning in connection with the case.
Updated -- 9:42 p.m.
Boston (WSYR-TV) -- The second Boston Marathon bombing suspect, 19-year-old college student Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, was taken into custody Friday night after a manhunt that put the entire city on lockdown for most of the day.
Tsarnaev’s brother, 26-year-old Tamerlan, was killed in a shootout with police near the MIT campus overnight.
Boston Police announced via Twitter that Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was in custody just before 9 p.m. The Tweet read: “CAPTURED!!! The hunt is over. The search is done. The terror is over. And justice has won. Suspect in custody.”
Tsarnaev was found holed up in a boat by a Watertown, Mass., resident just after 7 p.m.
A crowd that gathered near the scene broke out in cheers and clapping after learning the suspect had been caught and was in custody.
==Updated - 6:30 p.m.
Boston, Mass. (WSYR-TV/ABC) -- Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick says the "stay-indoors order" has been lifted in Boston, but that the second suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings remains at large.
Gov. Patrick explained the manhunt is at a point where the lockdown order could be lifted, however, those living in the area are being asked to remain vigilant.
Patrick addressed the public during a press briefing just after 6 p.m. on Friday. With him, was Col. Timothy Alben with the Massachusetts State Police.
Col. Alben says law enforcement officers, along with SWAT teams, searched the neighborhood and went door-to-door to make sure everyone was safe. He added that authorities were following up on a number of leads, but none have been “fruitful to this point.”
Col. Alben also mentioned that authorities did find unexploded ordinates that were removed and made safe.
Boston State Police will be adding patrols for the next few days and will be working with the Watertown Police Department.
“We are committed to seeing a conclusion to this case,” Col. Alben said.
Boston residents were also asked to report any suspicious activity.
Boston Mayor Thomas Menino spoke briefly, as well, saying, “Together, we’ll get through this crisis.”
A heavy police presence in the area is expected to continue into the evening.
Authorities urged anyone who may see the suspect to call 911, local authorities or the FBI. Do not take action on your own.
The so-called "Suspect 1" - identified later as 26-year-old Tamerlan Tsarnaev - was killed in the overnight incident.
A tense night of police activity began on the campus of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. A police officer was fatally shot Thursday night near a building on the university's campus. MIT police officer Sean Collier
was responding to a report of a disturbance in the area. He was found with "multiple gunshot wounds," the Middlesex County District Attorney Attorney's office said in a press release on their website.
Police say the disturbance was related to a carjacking near the university. According to police, that led to a car chase and in the process, explosives were thrown at officers. A second officer was wounded and is in critical condition Friday morning.
The search for the second suspect is centering around a man whose description is consistent with the second suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings. Law enforcement identified the man as "suspect number two" and is the one wearing a white hat in the surveillance photos released by the FBI Thursday.
They have since identified him as Dzhokhar Tsarnaev
Police are calling him a "terrorist" and a dangerous man. Police are now going door to door in a Boston area neighborhood searching for him.
The man wearing the dark hat in the surveillance photos is believed to be the suspect that was killed early Friday morning.
Dzhokhar Tsarnaev has been identified as the brother of the slain suspect - Tamerlan Tsarnaev.
Stay with NewsChannel 9 and ABC News for the latest on this developing situation.