Updated at 12:17 a.m. on Wednesday, July 31:
Syracuse (WSYR-TV) – A former City of Syracuse Department of Public Works employee with a litany of arrests for sex crimes involving underage boys is once again facing charges.
Mark Carrigan, 46, of Syracuse, was arrested Tuesday on charges of criminal sex act in the second degree and failing to register an internet identifier, both felonies, as well as forcible touching, a misdemeanor.
“Mr. Carrigan is somebody who continually thumbs his nose at the system and breaks all those rules. Those rules are put in place to keep people safe, to keep children safe. Mr. Carrigan continually breaks those rules,” said Sergeant Tom Connellan with the Syracuse Police Department.
Police say Carrigan’s most recent victim is a 14-year-old boy he met in September 2012.
After their first encounter, police say Carrigan began picking the boy up at a school bus stop and other locations including fast food restaurants.
Police say the man gave the boy fast food routinely and also gave him a small amount of cash. Connellan says that Carrigan has made a routine of the gifts.
“He'll shower these kids with gifts that kids would like, take them for fast food, give them money and shower them with things and then he turns around and tells them that he expects something in return for it,” said Connellan.
Carrigan is facing his most recent charges after he allegedly performed sex acts on the boy in a relative’s home.
A school employee reported Carrigan to police when he recognized him as a sex offender while driving the boy to school.
Carrigan was arrested for probation violation at the time and police began their most recent investigation.
He was arrested upon his release from the Jamesville Correctional Facility for the probation violation on Tuesday.
He is now being held in the Onondaga County Justice Center pending arraignment.
“We're hopeful that we're going to be able to keep him incarcerated for a very long time after this,” said Connellan.
Carrigan has been arrested on 16 occasions on 40 different charges.
Of those charges, 16 were felonies and 22 were misdemeanors, along with two other charges.
Out of 16 felonies, 3 resulted in convictions. 12 of the 22 misdemeanor charges resulted in convictions.
“He is a level 3 (sex offender). He is the highest level that you can be and he's considered a dangerous person. He should not be around children and he's not allowed to be around children. But, he continually breaks those rules,” Connellan said.
Police say they strongly believe Carrigan has other victims, a belief that Linda Cleary, the Executive Director with the McMahon/Ryan Child Advocacy Center echoes.
“My first thought was, we know how many children have come forward, how many have not,” Cleary said. “It's very few children that are going to come forward and say it, so every time you know they've done it with one or two children, chances are it might be 10, 20, or 30 children that they've been doing it with.”
Anyone who can contribute to their investigation should call (315) 435-3016.The following is a chronological order of sex offense related charges against Carrigan. The information was provided by the Syracuse Police Department and has been modified due to graphic details:
- February 10, 1988: Syracuse Police arrested Mark Carrigan for Sodomy in the First Degree a Class B Felony and Endangering the Welfare of a Child, a Class A Misdemeanor. The victim was a child less than 11-years-of-age. Carrigan was allowed to plead guilty to one count of Sexual Abuse in the First Degree, a Class D Felony. He was sentenced to 5 years probation.
- December 1, 1992: A 13 year-old boy getting ready for school noticed Carrigan watching him through a window. He informed a parent who went outside to look for Carrigan without success. The following morning the parent waited outside the residence and observed Carrigan return and once again look through the window in an attempt to watch the child. In the course of the ensuing investigation the child informed Syracuse police officers that Carrigan, who was known to the family, had frequently visited the home when the child was home alone. Carrigan was arrested for Harassment and Trespass both violations. As a result, Carrigan’s probation was revoked February 1, 1993 and he was re-sentenced on the above 1988 charge to one year in the Onondaga County Correctional Facility. He was released on August 26, 1993.
- February 1997: A mother contacted the Syracuse Police Abused Persons Unit and reported that she had learned that her 15-year-old son had been sexually assaulted by Carrigan and another male over a period of approximately a year. Carrigan was charged with Sodomy in the Second Degree, a Class D Felony, Sodomy in the Third Degree, a Class E Felony, Sexual Abuse in the Second Degree, a Class A Misdemeanor and Endangering the Welfare of a Child, a Class A Misdemeanor. He was convicted of Sodomy in the Second Degree upon a plea of guilty. Carrigan was sentenced to one year in the Onondaga County Correctional Facility. He was released after eight months on June 4, 1998.
- August 1998: Approximately two months after his release - after an incident with a 15-year-old boy at the New York State Fair - Carrigan was charged with Sexual Abuse in the Third Degree, a Class B Misdemeanor and Endangering the Welfare of a Child, Class A Misdemeanor. He was convicted upon a plea of guilty to Attempted Endangering the Welfare of a Child, a Class B Misdemeanor. He was sentenced to one year of probation on March 18, 1999. On May 13, 1999, Carrigan violated the terms of that probation and he was re-sentenced to 90 days.
- July 1999: Carrigan was again arrested for Sexual Abuse in the Third Degree, a Class B Misdemeanor and Endangering the Welfare of a Child, a Class A Misdemeanor by the Onondaga County Sheriff’s Abused Persons Unit. He was convicted upon a guilty plea to Endangering the Welfare of a Child. On March 1, 2000 he was sentenced to one year in the Onondaga County Correctional Facility.
- September 22, 1999: The Onondaga County Sheriff’s Office charged Carrigan with Criminal Sale of Marihuana in the Second Degree, a Class D Felony, Attempted Sodomy in the Third Degree, a Class A Misdemeanor, Endangering the Welfare of a Child, a Class A Misdemeanor, Sexual Abuse in the Third Degree, a Class B Misdemeanor and Criminal Possession of Marihuana in the Fifth Degree, a Class B Misdemeanor. On March 2, 2000 Carrigan was convicted upon a plea of guilty to Attempted Sodomy in the Third Degree. He was sentenced to one year in the Onondaga County Correctional Facility to be served concurrent with the above sentence.
- October 22, 1999: Carrigan was arrested by the Syracuse Police Department for Failing to Register as a Sex Offender-First Offense, a Class A Misdemeanor. He was sentenced to a conditional discharge on January 14, 2000.
- June 2006: Carrigan received a conditional release from state prison. In July 2006, he was charged with Attempted Failure to Register as a Sex Offender (second offense) and returned to prison on October 12, 2006.
- May 2007: Carrigan received a conditional release from state prison. In July 2007, he was charged with Violating Sex Offender Registry Requirements (second offense) and returned to prison until his sentence reached its maximum limit and he was released October 13, 2007.
- November 2007: One month after being released from prison, Carrigan was arrested for Trespass. A 21 year-old male complained that he observed Carrigan loitering on his street. The man was showering in his residence a short time later when he observed Carrigan watching him through the window. The victim pursued Carrigan until Syracuse police officers arrived and arrested him. He was charged with one count of Trespass, a Violation. (Disposition Unknown)
- March 1, 2012: Carrigan was charged with 2 counts of Criminal Sexual Act, a Class E Felony and 2 counts of Endangering the Welfare of a Child, a Class A Misdemeanor. On November 16, 2012 Carrigan was convicted upon a plea of guilty to 3 counts of Sexual Misconduct, a Class A Misdemeanor. He was sentenced to time served and 6 years probation.
- February 13, 2013: 3 months into his most recent probation Carrigan was again arrested. A city school employee contacted the Onondaga County Probation Department and alerted them to the fact that he had learned Carrigan had befriended a 14 year-old student about 4 months earlier. He had provided cash, clothing, food and rides to the youth. The employee further indicated that Carrigan had also been associating with at least one other 14 year-old male. His probation officer and members of the Syracuse Police Abused Persons Unit arrested Carrigan on a warrant for Violation of Probation.
- July 30,2013: As a result of the information that led to Carrigan’s probation violation arrest, the Syracuse Police Abused Persons Unit began an investigation into Carrigan’s conduct with the student. That investigation has resulted in Carrigan’s arrest for Criminal Sexual Act in the Second Degree, a Class D Felony, Failing to Register an Internet Identifier, a Class D Felony and Forcible Touching, a Class A Misdemeanor. During the course of the investigation, other potential victims and crimes were identified and that information is being actively investigated.