Arkansas (WSYR-TV) -- A 15-year-old Central Arkansas girl suffered third degree burns after being shocked while talking on her cell phone on Saturday.
The teen’s family says she was talking on her phone, which was plugged into an extension cord near her bed. While talking, her copper necklace got caught in the prongs of her phone charger, sending a 120 volt shock through her body. The girl suffered burns around her neck, but doctors say it could have been much worse.
“When an electrical current goes through your body, it goes through your heart, too,” explained Nikki Spriggs with AR Children’s Hospital. "A few seconds later and she could have been dead."
The girl, who hasn’t been identified for her safety, continues to recover.
The family doesn’t blame the manufacturer; instead they say it was just a freak accident. The girl and her family hope their story will keep anything like this from happening to anyone else.