Oneida (WSYR-TV) – Law enforcement officials in the city of Oneida are reminding people to be safe while heading out on any walking or jogging trails after a woman was approached and grabbed while jogging.
The Oneida Police Department and the Madison County Sheriff’s Office say the incident took place earlier this month along the Erie Canal walking trail in the town of Lenox when a male suspect allegedly grabbed a female jogger by her arm in a threatening manner.
Deputies and officers say they were able to locate the suspect and he was charged with Harassment in the 2nd Degree.
The Oneida Police Department and the Madison County Sheriff’s Office say runners should follow these tips:
- Try to utilize the recreation trails during daylight hours if possible
- Always try to go in pairs, not alone
- Vary the times of use to avoid developing a pattern
- Carry a cell phone
- Wear reflective outer clothing
- Be familiar with the trails and avoid areas you don’t know
- If you enjoy listening to music while walking or jogging, make sure you leave one ear open so you can hear noises or sounds in your vicinity; be cognizant of wildlife along the trails
- Tell someone your route before you leave and when you will be returning
- If you see something or someone acting suspicious, contact law enforcement immediately by dialing 911