Syracuse (WSYR-TV) – Syracuse University is under investigation by the NCAA, and investigators have been interviewing current and former employees, according to sources in reports published Wednesday.
Post-Standard reporter and Rewind and Reload contributor Mike Waters told NewsChannel 9 that the reports are, “More confirmation on what we’ve kind of known was going on with Syracuse University, with the NCAA looking in to the basketball program.” An article published Wednesday by the Post-Standard
says four sources informed the paper of the investigation regarding “the handling of Fab Melo’s academic eligibility and a 2007 alleged sexual assault case involving three players.”CBS Sports reported
Wednesday that “the school has received a letter of preliminary inquiry from the NCAA.”
Waters gave context, telling NewsChannel 9, “A preliminary inquiry is just the NCAA’s way of saying… we’re looking at your program, we expect your help, you’re going to have to communicate with us.”
When asked about the report at a tournament news conference Wednesday night, head coach Jim Boeheim said, “Same story they had last year at this time.” He added, “I guess next year we’ll get it again.”
Boeheim said he wasn’t sure if the players know about the reports. He said, “These players, there’s absolutely no distractions for them. They’re here to play Montana and that’s it.”
Wednesday, Syracuse University spokesperson Kevin Quinn said in a statement to NewsChannel 9, “As we said last year at this time, we are collaborating with the NCAA as part of an ongoing inquiry. Given this process is ongoing, we are unable to comment further at this time.”
It has been known for a year that there is an NCAA inquiry of Syracuse, which the university admitted last March.
An NCAA spokesperson said at the time that "Syracuse University appropriately self-reported possible violations to the NCAA several months ago and we currently have an ongoing investigation.”