Syracuse (WSYR-TV) – An Auburn house fire in March of 2012
has spawned a bill named after its youngest victim.
The family of 2-year-old Averyana Dale is leading the crusade to have a tax credit offered to encourage people to install photoelectric detectors in their home.
The fire that claimed the life of Averyana and her 38-year-old godmother was ruled accidental, but autopsy reports showed the two died from smoke inhalation.
Averyana's family believes this could have been prevented if the photoelectric detectors were in the home instead of ionization detectors, which is the most common fire detector.
The bill is known as Averyana's Law and is currently being reviewed by a state committee.
“Photoelectric smoke alarms are able to detect smoke from a smoldering fire which is the type of fire that starts at night when people are sleeping, ionization alarms don't pick up that smoke,” said fire safety expert Russell Ashe.
The family of Averyana continues to spread the word on the differences between the fire alarms and hopes that it will keep other families safe.
“We are crusading for a wonderful cause. That's what’s important and so coming to visit is a reminder of that and that this will get done and no other families will have to go through what we've gone through,” said Natalie Dale, Averyana’s mother. “I didn't know the difference between smoke detectors before our tragedy and there are a lot of people who don't know the difference and it's important to get this knowledge out there and to go to bed knowing your safe.”
There is about a $5 difference between ionization and photoelectric detectors and you can find out what type of alarm you have by checking the labeling.
An ionization detector will have an "i" or "radiation" on the back of the alarm.
You can learn more information on Averyana's Law on the New York Senate’s website