Photos of the fire
Boonville (WSYR-TV) – Fire officials in Oneida County say a cigarette is to blame for a fire that destroyed two buildings and displaced 30 people early Thursday morning in Boonville.
They say a man was smoking a cigarette and didn’t put it out fully. The cigarette sparked a mattress, which in turn caused the fire.
More than 15 companies responded to the fire after it was reported around 2:30 a.m.
Shortly before 11 a.m., fire officials confirmed that the blaze was out and crews had begun demolishing the buildings.
The fire began in an apartment building and spread to a second structure shortly after that.
No injuries were reported as a result of the fire.
Red Cross was called to the scene to assist with those displaced by the blaze.
Adirondack schools closed because of a lack of water resulting from the fire.