Clay (WSYR-TV) -- Three people suffered minor injuries in a house fire at 8265 Joewood Drive in the town of Clay Wednesday night.
Fire officials at the scene say four people were inside the home when the fire broke out; all were able to make it out safely. However, one person did suffer a hand injury and two others were treated at the scene for smoke inhalation.
According to the Red Cross, 9 people were left homeless by the fire.
Responders knew that the incident was serious when the call came through.
“It was a scary call when you heard it dispatched over the radio you could tell it was the real deal, 911 told us the 2nd floor was engulfed in flames and 4 people were trapped in the residence,” said Onondaga County Sheriff’s Deputy Sgt. Crayg Dykes.
Three people made it out, but one child was still inside the building.
Red Cross volunteer Liz Ersek, who spent time with the displaced family, said quick thinking on the part of the child’s brother may have saved the child's life.
“He went back in and he was actually making his way towards the windows and got his sister, when he turned around there was a black wall of smoke he couldn't get through there,” Ersek said.
Then, a neighbor and his son used a ladder to bring the youngsters to safety.