Insulation causes smoke at former Skaneateles Village Hall
Syracuse (WSYR-TV) - Firefighters have cleared smoldering insulation that caused smoke on the third floor of the former Skaneateles Village Hall, according to Fire Chief Eric Sell.
The Skaneateles Fire Department responded to the call of a smoke odor at about 6:41 p.m. on Friday at 56 East Genesee St.
After arriving at 56 East Genesee St, firefighters noticed the smoke was actually coming from 46 East Genesee St., the site of the former Skaneateles Village Hall which is being renovated.
Sell says it took approximately 15 minutes to locate the cause of the smoke.
He says that insulation from the roof had been removed during renovations and was laying on top of an exit sign that was still plugged in.
The heat from the exit sign created a smolder that spread throughout the insulation.
Sell says that after crews located the smolder, it took approximately five minutes to extinguish it and air out all the smoke.
No injuries were reported.
Copyright 2013 9wsyr.com Nexstar Broadcasting, All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.