Auburn (WSYR-TV) -- An Auburn family is looking to turn their personal tragedy into a lesson for Central New Yorkers by providing photoelectric smoke detectors to the community.
The Dale family lost their young daughter, Averyana, and her godmother after a house fire in Auburn last year. Her family says it all could have been prevented if there was a different type of smoke detector in the home.
That's why they held 'Alarms for Averyana' -- an event to raise money to purchase photoelectric smoke detectors for the community. They say if that type of smoke detector was in the home, Averyana and her godmother might still be alive.
"I didn't know about the two different alarms before our tragedy and when we were asked, we knew there was more than one," said Natalie Dale, Averyana's mom.
Most Americans have the ionization alarms which didn't work quickly enough for Averyana, but the photoelectric detectors are tested to do better. Averyana's mother and local firefighters are now warning people of the difference.
"Photoelectric picks up a smoldering fire quicker than ionization alarms and it starts 911 sooner, gets the fire department there sooner, we mitigate the problem before it gets tragic," said Dick Stabinsky of the Auburn Fire Department.
To donate to the cause contact:
Fire and Iron MC Station 222
PO Box 1072
Auburn, NY 13021