Monster Energy fights back against teen death claim
Syracuse (WSYR-TV) -- The maker of Monster Energy is fighting back against claims that the caffeine fueled drink caused a 14-year-old’s death.
A lawyer for Monster, said no blood tests were conducted to prove that the teenage girl actually died of caffeine toxicity after drinking two 24-ounce Monster drinks in two days, and the girl had several preexisting conditions that predisposed her to the sudden cardiac arrhythmia that killed her in December 2011.
The company faces a wrongful death lawsuit filed last fall by the Maryland girl's parents.
Monster says it has hired doctors, coroners and other experts to analyze the girl's medical records and found "no connection" between the girl’s death and the drinks.
Copyright 2013 9wsyr.com Nexstar Broadcasting, All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.