Oneida (WSYR-TV) – Fire investigators in Oneida are still looking into what caused a Saturday morning fire that created significant damage and forced guests to evacuate the Olcott Hotel.
They believe there are two possible causes: electrical wiring or a cigarette on the ground. Wiring from the hotel has been sent to a lab for testing. In addition, a discarded cigarette was found in mulch near a porch.
Temporary shelter for the guests is set up at the Oneida Recreation Center through Thursday, Aug. 25. The fire department says the hotel remains uninhabitable.
The fire began around 5:30 a.m. One firefighter was injured when he fell through the roof.
Fire at historic Oneida hotel
Aug. 20, 2011
ONEIDA, NY (WSYR-TV) - Firefighters are investigating an overnight fire that caused heavy damage and forced hotel guests to evacuate.
The fire at the Olcott Hotel started around 5:30 Saturday morning in the bar and restaurant portion of the building and quickly spread to the hotel area.
One firefighter was injured after falling through the roof. He was taken to the hospital, but is okay. He's now back at the fire station.
The cause of the fire is still under investigation.
Fire departments from from Oneida, Madison and Herkimer Counties responded to the hotel on Railroad Street.
Red Cross volunteers are helping the 19 people who had to evacuate and a shelter has been set-up.