Baldwinsville (WSYR-TV) – Police have released the identity of a man who died in a fire in an apartment building in Baldwinsville on Thursday morning.
Larry Gillette, 54, of Conifer Drive, called 911 shortly after 2 a.m. and told the dispatcher that he was having trouble breathing.
The person who took the call at the 911 center realized that a fire had broken out in the man’s apartment.
Police responded to Gillette’s apartment and forced their way in, but were unable to reach the man because of the intensity of the smoke and flames.
They removed more than 10 other residents from the building in the Conifer Village Apartments complex. Most of the residents who were removed from the building are elderly.
Fire personnel were able to gain entry to Gillette’s apartment. He was transported to St. Joseph’s Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
Police say that the fire was most likely caused by linseed oil rags that had not been disposed of properly.
A Baldwinsville Police officer was injured during the incident. He was treated at St. Joseph’s and then released.