NEDROW, NY (WSYR-TV) - After a chimney fire destroyed a home in Nedrow
on Sunday morning, firefighters are reminding people to get their fireplace and chimney inspected.“Just make sure you're getting your chimney serviced and cleaned and make sure that everything's good to go before you fire them up. We want everyone to stay safe this winter,” said Nedrow Fire Lieutenant James Emm.
David Doherty of Mr. Chimneyman has been cleaning and inspecting chimneys in Onondaga County for 22 years. He explained the process to NewsChannel 9 on Sunday.
“There's an area called the smoke chamber where it slowly tapers in and then there's the flue. I have to get my brush into the flue,” said Doherty.
The ash lining of the chimney is scraped clean with that brush before Doherty sends a camera up to check for cracks and other signs of corrosion.
Cracks and corrosion can form for many reasons including improper installation and misuse of the fireplace.
“Fireplaces are meant to be a social event, aesthetic use. Not a heat source. Too many people make them a heat source by having too big of a fire for too long of a time and fail to maintain it,” said Doherty.
After getting your fireplace inspected, Doherty said the rule, on average, is to use only two to three logs for two to three hours at a time.
The Chimney Safety Institute of America suggests getting your chimney inspected once a year.
To find a certified chimney sweep in your area, click here