Syracuse (WSYR-TV) -- Syracuse Police honored its own at its annual Medal Awards Ceremony Thursday night. From catching heroin dealers, to solving murder cases, to getting caught in the crossfire, Thursday’s ceremony recounted the dedication and daily sacrifice of city crime fighters.
They were called to the stage for their acts of compassion, heroism, bravery and keen investigative skills. The Distinguished Service Medal was given to Officer Jerry Mulherin.
Officer Mulherin raced to the call of a robbery in progress last year. He had no idea what or who he was about to encounter when he hurried to Omani’s Lemonade Heaven on South Avenue. After confronting the man who robbed the couple inside, he faced gunfire. It was all too familiar for Mulherin, who had a similar close call in 2002.
“It's something that happens, so there really is not much time to dwell on it,” Officer Mulherin said. “We know the risks and dangers; unfortunately it doesn’t always come in our favor. We try to do our best.”
Officer Mulherin, along with 17 other officers, were recognized for their bravery and going above and beyond the call of duty.
NewsChannel 9’s Dan Cummings emceed the event along with Cold Case actor Jeremy Ratchford.Below is a list of officers awarded during Thursday's ceremony
- SPD Merit Award: Officer Robert Harrington, Officer William Kittell and Officer Donald Schultz
- SPD Life Saving Award: Officer Alvin Herrington
- John C. Dillon Award: Sergeant John Savage
- Timothy Laun Award: Captain John Brennan
- Wallie Howard Jr. Award: Detective James Burns
- Distinguished Service Award: Officer John Mulherin
- Meritorious Service Award: Detective Timothy Galanaugh, Detective Jeffrey MacCollum
- Police Chief's Achievement Award: Officer Aylan Briedis
- PBA President's Award: Officer David Craw, Officer Robert Ripley and Officer John Welch
- Post Standard Award: Detective Steven Kilburn, Officer Steven Stonecypher
- Jerome P. Slater Award: Officer Matthew LaLonde