Utica (WSYR-TV) – A Utica man has been arrested on charges that he stole from a 90-year-old woman and then tried to take money from her by selling back the items.
According to Utica Police, a suspect broke into the woman’s home on several occasions, stealing numerous items, including cash. Recently, police say Omar Torres, 31, of Elizabeth St., contacted the victim, telling her he would return the stolen items if she gave him money for them.
Police say they caught Torres when he tried to use to children to retrieve the money in exchange for the stolen items.
Torres was charged with:
- Two counts of burglary in the second degree, a felony
- Two counts of petit larceny, a misdemeanor
- Criminal possession of stolen property, a felony
- Two counts of endangering the welfare of a child, a misdemeanor
- Grand larceny by extortion, a felony