Pittsburgh (WSYR-TV/AP) - Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim says the Orange will be "ready to play" without sophomore center Fab Melo, who has been ruled ineligible for the NCAA tournament.
The university announced Tuesday that the 7-foot Brazilian, who did not travel with the team to Pittsburgh for the second- and third-round games, won't take part in the tournament due to an eligibility issue. The school did not elaborate.
Melo missed three games earlier this season because of an academic issue.
During the season, SU went 2-1 without Melo. While ranked No. 1 in the nation, the Orange suffered its first loss of the season at Notre Dame and struggled in games at home against West Virginia and on the road at Cincinnati.
As he left the bus in front of the team hotel Tuesday, Boeheim at first said he had nothing to say. He then told The Associated Press that "all we can do is be ready to play with the guys we have."
Boeheim has not decided who will start in Melo's place.